MAYOR is a real-life political saga following Musa Hadid, the Christian mayor of Ramallah, during his second term in office. His immediate goals: repave the sidewalks, attract more tourism, and plan the city's Christmas celebrations. His ultimate mission: to end the occupation of Palestine. Rich with detailed observation and a surprising amount of humor, MAYOR offers a portrait of dignity amidst the madness and absurdity of endless occupation while posing a question: how do you run a city when you don't have a country?
- "The best new film about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a dark comedy about Ramallah’s Mayor... offers a striking new perspective on that struggle, with a personal on-the-ground quality matched by grand tonal ambitions that makes it the best of its subgenre."
- "Impressive. Engrossing. MAYOR is a study in politics both micro and macro, showing what happens when the two come fatefully crashing together."
- "Astonishing. Gripping and surprisingly witty... Osit brings a respectful approach that admirably never registers as observations of a patronizing Westerner."
- "MAYOR is an astounding and enthralling film... filled with a delicate blend of dark humour and unflinching honesty."
- "Thoughtful and gripping... There are whiffs of Veep-like humor throughout MAYOR… but it’s also a sincere tale of a public servant who’s seeking to lead in a world that’s stacked against him."
- "Subtly electrifying... deeply affecting. A movie full of vitalising, delicate observations."
- "Brilliant. Like a lost season of "Veep"... amuses and devastates in equal measure."
- "Offers more absurd moments than Samuel Beckett could have ever worked up."
- "MAYOR is essential viewing about the lines between small and grand acts of resistance."
Awards & Recognition
Grand Jury Award
Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
Zurich Film Festival
International Dox Award
True/False Film Festival
Melbourne Int'l. Film Festival
Hamburg Film Festival
New Zealand Int'l. Film Festival
Woods Hole Film Festival
San Francisco Int'l. Film Festival
Warsaw Film Festival
Berlin Jewish Film Festival