Femke Boot (Katja Herbers) is a columnist who is obsessed with reading the endless abusive messages and death threats posted about her on social media. This obsession consumes her life and prevents her from concentrating on the novel she has promised to her publisher. One day, all her pent-up anger and frustration explode in a moment of shocking and unexpected violence. When this brutal and bloody act inspires Femke to write again, she surrenders to her rage and begins to lead a double life as a daytime writer and nighttime murderer.
- "The Columnist is a sharp condemnation of those hiding behind their keyboards, hidden inside a hilarious look at a woman pushed to her breaking point."
- "A blackly funny satire exploring the limits of obscenity and hateful discourse in our new mediated age."
- "In a word, The Columnist is striking. The film is contemporary, intelligent, and, at moments, shocking. ... There is intent and intellect behind The Columnist that makes it an utterly irresistible watch."
- "The film has a biting wit that feels very reflective of the current moment and Femke is a fantastic showcase for Herbers...."
- "For those who get a kick out of some good, darkly comedic violence, The Columnist is a blast and one of the year's biggest surprises."
- "The Columnist is that rare mix of comedy and horror that isn't too cheesy or over the top. It's also definitely one of my favorite films of 2020...."
- "Elegantly framed and beautifully shot throughout, shifting easily between the bright, clean interiors that shelter the commentariat and the murky world of the horror film, The Columnist is as seductive and as playful as it is discomfiting."
- "Star Katja Herbers delivers a standout performance."
- "...a satirical buffet of homicidal femininity."
- "Katja Herbers is simply phenomenal in the lead role, Femke, a heroine for our troubled times, the liberal who is mad as hell and fights back."
- "A devilishly funny horror comedy."
- "Scathingly funny and deeply unsettling, The Columnist is a smart, acid-tongued thriller that couldn't have come at a better time."
- "The Columnist pairs its vicious satire with a stonking-good performance from Katja Herbers."
- "A darkly delicious film that entertains throughout thanks to the perfect combination of sure-handed direction, compelling story, and commanding performances."
- "Certified Fresh!"
Awards & Recognition
Chicago Int'l. Film Festival
Netherlands Film Festival
Telluride Horror Show