Return to Dust
Humble, unassuming Ma and timid Cao have been cast off by their families and forced into an arranged marriage. They have to combine their strength and build a home to survive. In the face of much adversity, an unexpected bond begins to blossom, as both Ma and Cao, uniting with Earth’s cycles, create a haven for themselves in which they can thrive. A story about eternal love, against the odds.
- "Return To Dust [features] beautifully-judged performances that radiate warmth and encourage empathy. It marks Li Ruijun as a significant cinematic talent."
- "This poetic tale of an arranged marriage which blossoms into a true partnership is Li’s most affecting and accessible work to date."
- "An unhurried but hypnotic portrait of two discards thrown together to scratch out a life as they weather the seasons."
- "“Return to Dust” is an absorbing, beautifully framed drama...."
- "A gorgeous piece of cinema...."
- "It’s an intimate drama that... moves you with its warm humanist core.... Both leads are remarkable."
- "Wu Renlin, who stars as the farmer, shines in a deeply humane film that also deals with the conflict between rural traditions and increasing modernisation."
- "Weihua Wang’s elegant camerawork... proves irresistible. While “Return to Dust” envisions an entire country in microcosm, it also reflects how a relationship can open up the entire world...."
- "It’s a tremendously graceful piece of filmmaking, with a light, compassionate touch. All the pieces come together in a richly satisfying way...."
Awards & Recognition
Berlin Int'l. Film Festival