Over The Limit
Over the Limit shows how the successful Russian system for training athletes transgresses boundaries. Elite rhythmic gymnast Rita Mamun has reached a crucial moment in her career. She’s soon to retire, but has one final goal set out for her: winning Olympic gold. A nail-biting behind-the-scenes drama about the intense physical and mental labor put into a sport that thrives on its beautiful aesthetics.
- "With her first feature-length documentary Over the Limit, Polish writer-director Marta Prus does for rhythmic gymnastics what Damien Chazelle did for drumming in Whiplash."
- "[A] darkly dazzling achievement. The tight, tense result surely ranks among the great modern sports docs."
- "...thoroughly engaging, an intense and emotional look at one athlete’s relationship to her sport."
- "harrowing and thoroughly captivating"
- "Rather than shape an angry exposé, Prus, herself a former gymnast, recognizes and embraces the Cinderella-like appeal of Mamun’s punishing journey. [New York Times Critic's Pick]"
- "Over the Limit is a film about passion and art. It is a film about what drives us, beyond logic and comfort. "
- "Margarita Mamun’s road to the Olympic gold medal is portrayed in a stunningly, exquisitely beautiful way that celebrates one of the most unlikely heroines of the sport. The film creates 74 minutes of gripping drama – it is probably only one slice of the truth (though honestly, who’d be interested in watching trainings where everything is smooth?), but it’s one of the most important works portraying RG."
- "**** (4 stars) [Marta Prus's] directorial hand is minimal and thus elegant. Mamun’s daily nightmare seems more real than any Hollywood rendition could be."
- "An intimate portrait of an athlete defying her own limits in order to conquer a respectful place among the finalists for the Olympics, documentarian Marta Prus’s sophomore feature is a brilliant examination on human resistance and eagerness. Triumphant! "
Awards & Recognition
Krakow Film Festival
Krakow Film Festival
Moscow Int'l. Documentary Film Festival
Goteborg Film Festival
One World Prague