Ahead of Time: The Extraordinary Journey of Ruth Gruber
A documentary on the remarkable life of Ruth Gruber. At 97 years old, Brooklyn-born Ruth still has that same sharp intellect and moxie that propelled her to become the world's youngest PhD at age 20. At age 24, she became a New York Herald Tribune reporter and photographer and the same year was the first journalist to enter the Soviet Arctic. A trusted member of the Roosevelt Administration during WWII, she was given a dangerous secret mission. A feminist before feminism, Ruth was never just an observer, she was a participant in the making of history. Ruth covered the turbulent Middle East throughout the 1940's, and the film combines verité footage of Ruth traveling back to Israel, with interviews and archival material.
- Ruth Gruber
- "[This] graceful documentary portrait directed by Bob Richman, illustrates just how extraordinary her life [subject Ruth Gruber] has been."
- "An inspiring documentary about a remarkable woman, “Ahead of Time” deftly recounts the career highlights — and what highlights they are! — of pioneering journalist, humanitarian and feminist Ruth Gruber...."
- "Through interviews, photos and letters, Robert Richman's documentary gives insight into Gruber's life as well as the immense potential that comes with an irrepressible personality and a good dose of patience."
- "Richman's eye for talking-head cleanliness and spritely archival interpolation betrays the project's undeniable professionalism."
- "The journalist as advocate and activist has rarely been contained in a more compelling package than Ruth Gruber."
- "Richman does a bang-up job with rare archival footage and new vrit interviews, even allowing for Gruber's acquaintances and their descendants to grill the still-sharp nonagenarian."
- "A case study in pioneering feminist courage, ambition and individualism."
- "[A] deeply touching film."
Awards & Recognition
Miami Jewish Film Festival
Palm Beach Jewish Film Festival
Denver Jewish Film Festival
Best Documentary Film
Santa Barbara Int'l. Film Festival
Toronto Int'l. Film Festival
Seattle Int'l. Film Festival
Full Frame Documentary Film Festival