The Other Side
In an invisible territory at the margins of society lives a wounded community who face the threat of being forgotten by political institutions and having their rights as citizens trampled. Disarmed veterans, taciturn adolescents, drug addicts trying to escape addiction through love; ex-special forces soldiers still at war with the world; floundering young women and future mothers; and old people who have not lost their desire to live. Through this hidden pocket of humanity, renowned documentarian Roberto Minervini opens a window to the abyss of today's America.
- Mark Kelley
- Lisa Allen
- James Lee Miller
Bonus: Open Carry Sequence
Sound: Stereo 2.0
- "...Minervini deserves credit for going where few high-minded filmmakers have gone before, revealing a side of Americana rarely seen onscreen."
- "...a soul-draining, feature-length look at the bastard stepchildren of the American Dream."
- "...an unflinching look at the unwholesome underbelly that, to the rest of the country’s chagrin, defines the Deep South."
- "CRITIC'S PICK. Whatever genre it belongs to, “The Other Side” is powerful and disturbing."
- "“The Other Side,” an immersive, almost harrowingly naturalistic plunge into the lives of marginal Louisianans obsessed with guns, drugs and belligerent resentments"
Awards & Recognition
Cannes Film Festival
Toronto Int’l Film Festival
Montreal International Documentary Film Festival
Karlovy Vary Int’l Film Festival
Bergen Int’l Film Festival