Only When I Dance
This feel-good documentary follows Irlan and Isabela, two teenagers from the violent favelas of Rio de Janeiro, as they pursue their dreams of becoming professional ballet dancers. This inspiring story takes us from Rio - where their communities must raise the funds to support their ambitions - to exhilarating ballet competitions in New York and Switzerland. It's a film about their determination to dance, and the price one must pay for talent, ambition and success.
- Irlan Silva
- Isabela Coracy
Bonus short: Lil'A, directed by Katharina Sophie Brauer
Sound: Stereo 2.0
- "A real life Billy Elliot!"
- "An unforgettable experience!"
- "Finzi's lovingly filmed movie draws viewers into the lives of its two young heroes. You don't have to be a ballet buff to be moved by Isabela's and Irlan's stories."
- "This inspiring, involving documentary traces the stories of two dancers from the favelas of Rio de Janiero in a disarmingly simple way"
- "A wonderful documentary about two young talented black ballet dancers from working-class families and the yearning that propels them."
Awards & Recognition
Tribeca Film Festival
Int'l Documentary Film Festival of Amsterdam
Edinburgh Int'l Film Festival
SilverDocs Film Festival
Palm Springs Int'l Film Festival
Rio de Janeiro Int'l Film Festival
Vancouver Int'l Film Festival
Warsaw Int'l Film Festival
San Francisco Doc Fest