Paris 1895. Pierre Louÿs is a Parisian dandy and poet on the verge of fame. Pierre and his friend Henri De Régnier are both madly in love with Marie de Heredia (Noemie Merlant), the cheeky daughter of their mentor. Despite her feelings for Pierre, Marie eventually marries Henri who has a better situation. Badly hurt, Pierre leaves for Algeria where he meets Zohra, a bewitching local girl with whom he shares a tumultuous relationship and a passion for erotic photography.
One year later, Marie still has weak feelings for her husband and Pierre comes back to Paris with Zohra. As soon as Marie hears the news, she rushes to see Pierre and confesses that she kept herself for him. They quickly start an affair and a game of cat and mouse between many players begins, full of desire, jealousy and photography. They will build their future selves by transgressing the established codes, how far will they go?
Sound: 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Stereo
- "Filled with seductive, sharp dialogue escalating the heat and leading to bed throughout the entire film, and gorgeously shot, it is an accomplished bi-character study about desire and lust, deeply involving in its depiction of male and female’s carnal interests, one of the most incendiary and efficient sexual dramas in recent memory."
- "Exploring the audacious topic of eroticism and the emancipation of a woman in the 19th century, the first feature film by Lou Jeunet is distinctive.... Noémie Merlant [is] excellent."
- "It’s not just because it’s chockful of sex and nudity that Lou Jeunet’s historical literary drama avoids the potential stodginess of the genre; nearly every filmmaking choice feels like just the right one."
- "Noemie Merlant is fantastic."
- "Between eroticism and seduction, Lou Jeunet describes with pleasure the emergence of a woman who discovers the joys of emancipation in all its forms."
- "Captivates with its disinhibition and subtle sensuality."
- "Curiosa's well made drama, erotic elements, and stellar performances by Merlant and Schneider will draw you into this delicate and complicated romance story."
Awards & Recognition
FIN Atlantic Int'l. Film Festival
French Film Festival Prague
Int'l. Film Festival of India
French Film Festival Budapest