Filmed and scripted around true events between 2015-2019, AMERICAN THIEF straddles fiction and documentary as its protagonists become pawns in a plot to derail the 2016 presidential election. Toncruz, a teenage hacker, wants to avenge his father's murder while fellow-hacker, Diop, wants to fight for justice. Paul, a disgruntled internet vlogger known as "Man in the Van" and Toncruz are contacted by an Unidentified User on the deep web who claims he can provide them with the truth. Meanwhile, an artificial intelligence programmer, observes what unfolds as she fails to contain the monster she’s created. A fast-paced action/thriller that integrates fictional characters with real events creating an intense tale of dystopian conspiracy that will keep you transfixed.
- Xisko Maximo Monroe
- Khadim Diop
- Ben Becher
- Josefina Scaro
- "A timely and relevant foray into the world of the dark web, AMERICAN THIEF ambitiously slams the real world into a dramatic narrative that will have you sitting at the edge of your seat. AMERICAN THIEF is, and will remain for years to come, a time capsule of events that even now I have trouble believing were real."
- "At a time when the United States is experiencing so much uncertainty with a global pandemic, the ongoing protests against systemic racism and an upcoming presidential election, the film 'American Thief' could not be more relevant."
- "It’s a cryptic, gloomy and paranoid thriller about hackers, election interference, the omnipotent personal data mining resource of the Internet, how it is used against us by marketers and how foreign operators can use that same data to turn us on each other."
- "For all audiences, it’s the film that will define an era."
- "Shot from 2015 through till 2019, Silveira merges fiction with documentary in an unapologetic and honest depiction of society... [He] inserts his characters into actual demonstrations and speaks to real New Yorkers about the life-altering election as it unfolded, giving spectators a taste of history, inside the vessel of an unsettling thriller."
- "[AMERICAN THIEF is] a cocktail that increasingly constricts the spectator's throat and paints a picture that is as good as it is worrying about the precarious state of affairs in the Home of the Brave and the Land of the Free. "
- "A threateningly real fiction. "
Awards & Recognition
Oldenburg Film Festival
Best Narrative Feature
Indie Memphis Film Festival
Woodstock Film Festival
Whistler Film Festival
Maine Int'l. Film Festival
Urbanworld Film Festival