After The Storm
Dwelling on his past glory as a prize-winning author, Ryota (Hiroshi Abe) wastes the money he makes as a private detective on gambling and can barely pay child support. After the death of his father, his aging mother (Kirin Kiki) and beautiful ex-wife (Yoko Make) seem to be moving on with their lives. Renewing contact with his initially distrusting family, Ryota struggles to take back control of his existence and to find a lasting place in the life of his young son (Taiyo Yoshizawa) - until a stormy summer night offers them a chance to truly bond again.
Bonus short: The Last Dream, directed by Noemie Nakai and Carmen Kobayashi
Sound: Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Surround Sound
- "CRITIC'S PICK. Beautifully acted by a great cast (particularly Mr. Abe, who can make a sonata of frustration out of burrowing into a stale frozen treat with a spoon), “After the Storm” brings this intimate struggle to moving life. It’s a film that sticks with you."
- "[A] classic Japanese family drama of gentle persuasion and staggering simplicity.... [T]he filmmaking is so exquisite and the acting so calibrated it sticks with you."
- "**** The performances are brilliant throughout the ensemble and the script is full of great one-liners. After the Storm is undoubtedly one of Kore-eda's best."
- "There is such intelligence and delicacy in Kore-eda’s film-making, such wit and understated humanity."
- "Hirokazu Kore-eda may only make good movies, but “After the Storm” is one of his best."
Awards & Recognition
Un Certain Regard
Cannes Film Festival
Toronto Int'l. Film Festival