The Republic of Love
Based on a novel by the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Carol Shields, The Republic of Love is a romantic comedy about the barriers facing the lucky and the unlucky-in-love in the 21st century. Tom is a charismatic late-night radio talk show host whose unconventional upbringing has made him a little too quick to fall in love. Fay is an academic whose expectations are impossibly high as a result of the living perfection that is her parents’ marriage. The characters connect in a maze of malls, condos and family homes, underpinning the idea that ‘geography is destiny’ and that each of us has our own ‘republic’, where lives intersect.
- Bruce Greenwood
- Emilia Fox
- Edward Fox
- Jackie Burroughs
Bonus short: Persistence, directed by James Culliane
Sound: Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Surround Sound
- "Mehta's confidently crafted film is more intelligent and serious than your standard romantic comedy."
- "...remains entertaining because of the two stars, both of whom give incredibly charismatic performances."
- "There is much to quietly savour here."
- "The charisma of the cast goes a long way to bring warmth to this story of winter love."
- "As one of Canada’s best, rangiest and handsomest thesps, Greenwood has a wonderful time playing what his Tom calls “a normal guy,” while Fox is a perfect match, projecting an electric combination of passion and intelligence."
Awards & Recognition
Toronto Int'l Film Festival
Atlantic Film Festival