What She Said: The Art Of Pauline Kael
The New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael battled to make her mark – fueled by brilliance, unshakable self-confidence, a complicated past, and a deep love of the arts. With over 40 new interviews and never-before seen archival material, WHAT SHE SAID is an unvarnished portrait of a pioneer who was both admired and resented for what she said about art in an era of great moviemaking.
- "To see Rob Garver's affectionate documentary about Kael's career is to be once again swept away by the excitement of cinema as she experienced it."
- "Garver's film is above all a celebration of the pleasure of intellectual and emotional response to art... and a picture of a style of thinking that might be seen as distinctively but non-stereotypically female."
- ""What She Said" pays fitting homage, not just to a great writer but to a vanished age."
- "This is a richly compelling work, one that makes you yearn to watch more films and to understand why we need them."
- "An exquisitely crafted documentary about the woman who was arguably the greatest movie critic who ever lived..."
Awards & Recognition
Outstanding Documentary Feature
Tallgrass Int'l. Film Festival
Berlin Int'l. Film Festival
Best Documentary Feature Film
Edinburgh Int'l. Film Festival
Cleveland Int'l. Film Festival
Miami Film Festival
Telluride Film Festival